Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Five Year Old Suspended

I just read this on my Comcast and I am absolutely appalled. We understand why there are rules against students bringing weapons to school. Of course we understand. But you'd think that adults would have good enough judgment to realize that a FIVE YEAR OLD probably didn't know better than to bring a pocket knife to open his sealed lunch. I can just picture a crazed lunch room monitor running toward the child, grabbing the pocket knife, dragging him to the principal's office, and all the school folks scaring the hell out of him.

What happened to a good old fashioned, "Son, you aren't supposed to bring knives to school because they can be very dangerous. You could get in big trouble if you do this again, so be careful not to make that mistake again, okay?" I know my kids would freak out if someone said that to them ... enough to rid them of their desire to bring a pocket knife to school.

And you know what? I think I've brought a weapon to school... I have a pocket knife in my purse and have gone inside to check my daughter out early.

3 Comments:

Blogger ceeelcee said...

When I recently bought Sarcastro's chest of drawers, I cleaned out the old armoir I've used for fifteen years.

I found TWELVE pocket knives in there. Now that there's hysteria about "weapons" I just don't carry one any more. That means I don't lose them.

Anybody need a weapon of minimal destruction?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Malia said...

That's so awful! He's five!!

I hate this zero tolerance attitude. Show some common sense already. He was FIVE!!!!!!!!!

If that happened to my kid, I'd flip out. Makes me want to hug him tight for a week, which I hope is what his Mama is doing!

9:12 AM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

Good points here. The school definately overreacted. Hope that poor little boy isn't scarred for life for being singled out like that in kindergarden!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home