Tuesday, January 30, 2007

New York, Part Two

The remainder of my trip to New York was eventful, but not quite like being surrounded by the gang about to be the victim of rape and possible homicide. (sipping my coffee... yes!) I remember some guy from Southern Illinois University was pretty forward about his intentions, but I wasn't into the one-night convention thing so declined. I think I may have laughed in his face because he was such a troll about it. I also recall a little old man following me and my friends around Times Square offering money for what he wanted. I swear I didn't dress like a hooker. Really. He was also roundly rejected, quite possibly through the use of bad language. O.o

But my guardian angel was also still around. My aunt and I had a dramatic falling out about four years earlier - my parents had moved to Kentucky from Indiana right as my senior year in high school was set to start and I didn't want to go to a brand new school in 12th grade. So they allowed my sister and I to stay behind and live with my aunt. It just didn't work out and ended with my sis and I getting our own little ugly apartment in Ferdinand, Indiana for the remainder of the school year.

Meanwhile, my aunt and her family returned to New Jersey and lived just across the river from NYC. Toward the end of my trip, I picked up the phone and called her. She said, "I knew family was in town!" She had a picture of her father (my grandfather) that sat on her mantle. Anytime family is near, the picture would move off the mantle. She had picked up that photo at least once a day for several days.

I met my aunt and her husband for dinner one night and we reconciled - really had a nice time. Then the funniest thing happened, albeit kind of gross. My uncle had to use the bathroom. And he did. He picked a door stoop, ducked inside, and pee'd. I didn't know whether to laugh or throw up. He said everyone did that, but I sure didn't smell pee in every entry door I walked into. I guess that's why they had so many doormen in the city - to keep people from pee'ing in them. All I know is that at the end of that trip to New York, this sheltered small-town girl was quite happy to get off the plane, walk on grass and see trees, and not have to worry about being propositioned by smelly old men who were following me, or surrounded by a gang of evil.

Sip. I love my coffee. I do want to go back to that amazing, vibrant city again, though. It was unforgettable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

Road trip!!!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Sara Sue said...

LOL you didn't smell pp??? Wow! I love the picture falling of the mantle...I'd love to see your aunt's "wrinkles".

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Ginger, ROAD TRIP! :)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home