Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bad Time of Year

Did you know that a British scientist has determined that January 24th is the worst day of the year? It's the day in England, apparently, when people realize their New Year's resolutions have fallen to the wayside, the Christmas credit card bills start coming in, and it's typically gloomy and wet weather-wise. Yeesh.

This isn't the greatest time in the U.S. either. Earlier this weekend, I posted where people have been going to funerals, losing jobs (sorry Ivy and Ginger and Smiffster and Tim C.!), and just experiencing a the blahs in general.

We got the call yesterday that the husband's last aunt on his Dad's side passed away. He and the mother-in-law are going to Kentucky on Tuesday for the funeral. I had planned to go, but I think I'm staying here with the kids instead. This aunt was sweet to me the few times I met her, so I regret that she's gone and I'm very sorry for her children and grandchildren.

And now, the lady who was my mentor when I got into the real estate business is about to lose her husband. When he was first diagnosed with colon cancer six years ago, he was given six months to live. He has defied all the odds the medical field laid on him, and as a result his family at first didn't believe this was it. Reality has now settled in and they met with the funeral home yesterday to make arrangements. The hospice nurse told her today that he likely wouldn't wake up by Monday morning.

I saw him for several minutes on Friday and just didn't know what to say when I left since I knew it would be the last time I saw him alive. My mouth finally spoke, "Well you take care and let me know if there's anything I can do for you." It was so lame.

Although the cycle of life and death touches all of us, it's the ordinary that make it worthwhile and the extraordinary that inspires. Tomorrow I will be inspired. But if I'm not inspired, my day will still be worthwhile.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's aunt and your friend's husband. Will be keeping you all in thoughts/prayers, bunches of hugs...

As for this time of year, if today is any indication I'm off to a rotten start this week. I overslept and feel crummy in general... blah.

But in light of the above I need to be counting blessings instead, I know that! :)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sara Sue said...

This was a very sweet post, Kathy. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your family and with your mentor's too. (((HUGS)))

1:03 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

Oh, I am sorry about this. I know it is hard to know what to say in situations like that but everyone always told me that it's best just to be there and offer support, as you did.
Hopefully 2007 will begin an upward swing for many folks soon. Thinking about you and your family.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home