Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Submit to the Decider's Will

My jaw hit the floor as I read this article on MSNBC.com.
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales says federal judges are unqualified to make rulings affecting national security policy, ramping up his criticism of how they handle terrorism cases.

In remarks prepared for delivery Wednesday, Gonzales says judges generally should defer to the will of the president and Congress when deciding national security cases. He also raps jurists who “apply an activist philosophy that stretches the law to suit policy preferences.”

Wait. Did I actually read that? He believes the federal jurists should defer to the president's will. The attorney general of the United States believes that the well-educated, informed members of the judicial system, set up as one of the checks and balances of our democracy, are too stupid to know or understand what's going on in the war against terror.

The contemptuous view of the democratic process, the utter disregard of the voice of the American people, and the above the law attitudes of this administration beg the question: what will it take to get these jokers out of office and out of power?

I read an eloquent editorial published in a St. Petersburg (FL) Times to a Republican congresswoman from Florida, and believe all our elected leaders should take heed:
"But you cannot blindly follow a president whose war plan has been one bloody disaster after another, whose latest grand design is opposed by more than two-thirds of Americans, who has rejected the key elements of the Iraq Study Group, a distinguished panel whose findings you have applauded as echoing your own sentiments."
I beg the judiciary. I beg the Congress. I beg the American people. Stop this madness. Stop it with your rulings. Stop it with your laws. Stop it with your votes. I want to see people in Washington, D.C. who respect the U.S. Constitution and the democratic process. Is my agenda too liberal?

UPDATE: Okay, I thought about this in the shower and I believe I've identified what that brain niggle is that has been troubling me. This administration does not trust the people of this country. They don't trust the public. They don't trust the judicial branch. They don't trust anyone. So why should we trust them?

1 Comments:

Blogger Pen Ultimate said...

Gather ye pitchforks.
.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home