Saturday, April 01, 2006

Choking Game

I just read a story on Comcast about a West Virginia 4.0 college student who died playing the "choking game." Apparently it's a game where kids cut off the oxygen supply to their brains briefly so they can feel the rush when oxygen is restored. My question, why don't kids today just get high? Is it because our society is so rigid now that kids are terrified to try something that doesn't kill (pot) because it's against the religious right and OMG practically a FELONY? Instead, they do this stupid game and accidentally kill themselves to feel a little rush. I don't know about you, but I'd rather catch my kid with a doobie than to find her hanging from a ceiling fan.

A friend of mine just found a pot-pipe in her daughters car and threw her out of the house. It really was the impetus of a long-standing situation, but she just absolutely freaked out. She cried and sobbed and finally turned it over to God. I told her that all kids experiment someway somehow, and she was darn lucky that's all she found.

PS - My sincere sympathy to Loni who posted a comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

I wish my son had tried pot once rather than trying the choking game. Maybe he'd still be alive. Kids will do foolish things. I know our son would never have tried drugs or drinking. But this he probably thought wouldn't hurt him and it does not cost anything and mom & dad won't know. Instead, he accidentally hung himself and his 11 year old brother found him. It's been a very hard painful time of healing. Thanks for sharing on this. maybe it will warn some families to talk to their kids.

http://matthewsstory.com

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kathy T. said...

Loni, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I pray that joy will be in your life as you look to the future, and the happy memories of your son will ease your heart.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

i've heard of this game. Horrifying. I can't believe your friend thru her daughter out for pot. WOW.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home