Friday, October 27, 2006

Election Fever

I plan to get out and vote early. I'd like to vote often, as well, but ....

How about this election season? Before the talking heads pointed it out, I didn't even connect the dots that the whole Playboy ad had racial undertones. I tend to forget that I live in the South so never even thought about skin color being an issue. Paint me stupid at worst, color-blind at best. I don't really care if Harold Ford went to a Playboy party. If I was invited to one, I'd probably go. I'd sit there like a big, fat prude but I'd still go for the chance to meet new people and to just have the ability to say that I've been.

And Bob Corker is using illegal immigrants to get rich? Well look around folks... if he is, he's not the only one. I met a man who owns a multi-million dollar nursery in middle Tennessee. While he and I were talking several months ago, he went off on a rant about how these immigrants are the only reason he can stay in business. Well I beg to differ. I feel pretty sure that if he paid fair wages, he'd be able to find a lot of people legally in this country who would work for him. This guy is worth millions and millions and he wants to keep it all to himself.

I am hoping with all my heart that Democrats take back Congress. I think the one-party-rule that we now have in place is not only failing our country, but has made it dangerous to be an American. Frankly, the idea of traveling abroad right now is just frightening because we are held in such low-regard across the world.

I don't understand how people can think torture by America is okay, but if you torture an American it's not. I understand the claims that these are terrorists who are being tortured. But how can we be sure? They no longer have the right to an attorney, to be told why they are being held, nor to even exist. Yes, we must prevent terrorists from attacking this country again, but I suspect that not everyone being held is a terrorist. At least not yet. Habeus Corpus, rest in peace.

I applaud Keith Olbermann for having the courage to speak against the erosion of our civil rights and of our democracy. If he disappears, he'll probably be found in some dark, dank prison being water-tortured because he dared to disagree with the president.

I know I'm not eloquent like so many other bloggers (John H., Aunt B, etc.), but I do know that I'm worried about my nephew going to Iraq in February with the Army. I'm worried about innocent people being held, tortured, murdered. I'm worried about the gigantic hole in our ozone. I'm mad about gas prices and hearing that Exxon again made BILLIONS on the backs of American consumers who are struggling to pay their heating bills and make their mortgage payments. I am grateful that gas prices have dropped, but my cynical side is convinced it was planned like this right before elections. I hate these political attack ads and the people who fund them. I'm worried that Hillary Clinton will run for president because although I like her, I don't think she can win. I'd like to see a Gore-Obama ticket.

That's all I have for now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good points! I'm lean mostly to the left. Seems as though the left side does better than the right.
I really do not believe this

"lefty's do it right, righty's do it better"

very opposite.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Very good breakdown, Kathy T!
And very eloquent.

7:23 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Kathy - I'll give you Aunt B as eloquent, but you are certainly every bit as eloquent as me, if not moreso.

Keep it up! You know I'm right there with you on pretty much every one of your points.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

With this race, i'm leaning towards Ford...but it breaks my heart to have to vote for a Democrat (sorry, lol). But bob corker? Uh huh. I don't trust him. Personally I don't trust most contractors (again...sorry, I know you must know tons being in the real estate gig) but they ALL "employ" illegals. I'd love someone to show me one who doesn't. Anyways...the whole race issue is grasping at straws. That ad being racist is utter bullshit. Pulling out the race card, if you will.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

OH, and btw....I lived in Germany from 91-93....and it wasn't safe being an american there (and that was during the Clinton admin). Most Europeans...ok, some can't stand America because they're jealous, and they look at us like we're spoiled bratts...which we are.

6:07 AM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Yo,Kathy... I've also got some pics in my flickr account of Halloween in the Park. Feel free to use any you wish.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can anyone you calims to be for America and what we had with the DEMOS even for a minute want them back in power. What a shame people need to look around and see how good we really have it and keep the Republicans in POWER>>>>>

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home