Monday, January 23, 2006

Karma - Is it for real?

I have enjoyed the new sitcom, "My Name is Earl". As you may or may not know, the storyline is based on Earl and his "bad karma." Earl figured out that if you do bad things to people, bad karma will follow you. So the show is about him rectifying mistakes and misdeeds he's done throughout his life so he can get his "good karma" back.

This weekend, I experienced firsthand bad karma vs. good karma. I sit once a week or so at a model home - a job that I don't get paid for unless a buyer comes in. I've been out there for over a year (one year, four months to be precise) and have only had one closing from it. I've stuck to it, though, because this builder is getting ready to offer affordable homes in what I believe will be a fantastic subdivision and I want in on those model homes.

So I go out to the model home on Saturday (when I'm scheduled) and another agent shows up. I took the high road and told her since she had to travel farther to come to the model home (she was there a day early - was supposed to be there Sunday), I'd let her have it Saturday, and I'd come back on Sunday to cover her shift. She agrees to this generous proposasl. Then she says (and I kid you not), "Ha-ha. I get the sunny day and you'll be out here tomorrow in the nasty rain." Now that's BAD karma on her part.

Sunday. I go out to the model home. It's raining cats and dogs, lightning, windy, nasty day. At about 3:00 p.m., this little couple walks in (a mother and son). They want to look at a couple of homes in the back (the more affordable homes), so I drive back there and show them around. Them: "We want this one. Can we write a contract today?"
:::::::WHAT??!?!!::::::::::
ME: "Yes ma'am, we can. Are you working with another agent?"
Them: "No. One agent we tried to work with never called us back."
ME: "Have you talked with a lender?"
Them: "No. We pay cash."
ME: "Great... ."
Them: "We want to close in 9 days."
ME: "Please sign here."

(It was a bit more complicated than that, but....) Now I have another closing at the end of this month! Yay me! Yay them! We're all happy! I'm heading out to the model home in about 35 minutes to get them to finish signing some miscellaneous paperwork.

In other news, my mother-in-law is back home. So far so good. Fingers are crossed. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Hahahaha, cash, how sweet is that? That's so awesome, man!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Hey, are you familiar with Burkitt Place? Let me know if so... I'm curious.

Also, I believe in Karma. You should watch the movie, What the Bleep Do We Know. I love this movie.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home