Sunday, October 29, 2006

My Bathroom, My Library

Why is it that I only read in the bathroom? I love to read. I adore it. I thirst for it. But the only time I can do it is when I'm in the bathroom.

Just a few short years ago, I couldn't even read then because as soon as I got myself settled in, I'd hear ONE knock on the door and my daughter would walk on in, "MOM? Can I have ...." I guess she figured she had a captive audience so that was always the best time to ask Mommy for something. I'd often say, "Hello? Some privacy here." but then she'd just park herself right outside the bathroom door and wait. I was being stalked by my daughter back then. I used to worry when I had to go to the bathroom and she had company because I just knew both she and her friend would walk in on me. I am thankful for door locks and I love it that my baby girl has outgrown walking in on me EVERY time I go. Now it's just once every week or two.

So that leaves me some time to read. Right now, here's what's on my shelf (or on the side of the bathtub in this case):
  • Fallen Angel by Greg Iles
  • A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (I spelled it "tail" first and had to laugh)
  • Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
  • Dragonsblood by Anne McCaffrey

I've read both dragon books several times, but just love that whole Dragonriders of Pern series. I anxiously wait for the day when these incredible stories can be made into movies or television series. Ivy loaned me the Handmaid's Tale and although I saw the movie, I'm thrilled to read the book. I guess I'd probably be stuck as a "Martha" if I lived in that society.

Fallen Angel is pretty good, especially if you have a daughter in high school. It makes me very relieved to have the teenager that I have - one who isn't a ho! Man.

My only big pet peeve in my bathroom is the toilet paper never makes it to the holder. My husband and I share equally in the blame. I put the TP next to my books on the bathtub edge (on the right of the commode) and my husband puts the roll on the edge of MY sink on the left. He says it's because he's left-handed. Well, right-handed or left-handed, wouldn't it be easier to not have to bend your arm back to put it on the sink? I think he does it to annoy me. That's why when he said the other night that he just hates it when napkins are placed ON the plate rather than next to it, I started putting his napkins on the plate at dinner. Hee hee. I'm not THAT mean, people. I only did it once.

Today is housecleaning day since we were busy all yesterday. Melissa won FIRST PLACE in the modeling competition yesterday at the Tennessee Twirlers (TTI) "Twirl Day" in Smyrna. She also won a trophy / superior for her parade routine. After that, we went to LaVergne's Trail of Treats and helped hand out candy for TTI. After two hours there, we went to Smyrna's Halloween event and handed out candy for girl scouts.

When we finally got home, I made chili then we sat down to watch FOUR Grey's Anatomy programs from season two. I think we still have about 12 shows to go before we can start watching our DVR'd season three. We saw the one where the bazooka was in the guys stomach and the one where Denny came back (but he's still alive). I'm hoping to get up from here in a minute and get busy so we can come back upstairs to watch more! My housecleaning calls, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home