Thursday, July 20, 2006

All Grown Up at Age 46

It occurred to me that what I did today is something I did for the first time in my life. I made a major purchase without having a co-signer or as a joint purchase. I bought the sweet, sweet Honda Pilot I gushed over earlier. Woot! Woot! Woot!

The man and I discussed it at some length last night, checked the blue book, ran our numbers, and discussed it more. Our conclusion at 1:00 a.m. was that if I could get the payment below $400 p/month, then I'd only have to have one closing every three months to pay for it. I can do that! So when I went to pick up the Odyssey this afternoon (thanks, Chip, for the ride) (my daughter thought he drove me on his school bus ... haha), I sat down and had me a chat with Lori, the sales manager. I also spoke with the owner of Accurate Automotive, Ed Brian. He is so much fun, especially his story about how he accidentally bought his wife a Honda Pilot for their anniversary.

I filled out my credit application while Lori pulled my credit score. I didn't want to admit it, but I was nervous. A lot of people don't realize it, but your credit score is EVERYTHING. And when you have one little payment on one little credit card that's 30 days late, it's going to dent your credit score. I had that one little ping. It once took me 45 days to pay a $5 charge on a Discover card four years ago and that one little item lowered my score. It's like bad cops, bad bosses, bad cashiers ... when they have the power to do it, these people are going to fu*k with you. They enjoy it. They are jerks. But since it was my ONLY ding, my credit score was almost 800!!!! What a joyful day! The good credit score allowed me to finance the car at 7% APR rather than 7.5%, thus lowering my payment even more!

Now I have me a shiny new (to me) car! Just like Brittney (not that I'd ever compare myself to the amazing Brittney). If you see a slate blue Honda Pilot with yellow Bob Parks signs on it, honk, give me a peace sign, or wave! If I see you in time, I'll return your gesture of affection. If you give me the finger, I won't fly one of those back because I learned my lesson from that 20 years ago. But that's a whole 'nother story.

5 Comments:

Blogger Newscoma said...

Good for you.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

Vroom, Vroom!
Congratulations

10:51 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Now I must know the finger story.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

congrats on the new car!! WOW...800, that's damn good! I remember the days of 800-900 credit score (deep sigh). Post a pic of your fancy shmancy new ride! Oh, and I need to know the finger story. You have my curiosity piqued.

3:29 AM  
Blogger ceeelcee said...

Peace sign, my butt! You KNOW I want the double thumbs up! Congrats on the cool ride.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home