Thursday, July 20, 2006

New Cars and Old Friends

No Brakes + Moving Vehicle = Baaaaad. Thankfully it's just the master brake cylinder and only $280 plus tax. Because my van now has 159,000+ miles on it, they also wanted to "service" it for another $400... new plugs, rotate tires, new fluids, etc. My husband said no. But I did okay an oil change (I'm only 200 miles from having another one due).

Okay, here's the freaky stuff. If you ever read this blog, you may remember my post about "The Secret" ... the movie I watched that went into the whole perception is reality concept. Since watching that movie, I have been picturing myself driving my sweet new car since mine is 11 years old and I'm ready for a new one (it's embarrassing to load clients into an old rattling van). I've been talking to my husband about it for nearly a year and he hadn't been interested, really. Well there may be something to this whole "universe brings things to you concept" because after having further discussions with him (and test driving a 2003 Honda Pilot), I think I'm getting a new car. ::::Jumps up and down with glee::::

I would love to have that sexy red convertible that Ivy has. I like the idea of a sweet compact car like Michelle has. But I'm drawn to the Pilot. I also test-drove a 2003 Acura MDX... just didn't like it. I may test drive a Lexus SUV before I commit to the Pilot because it has a GPS system and that would be very handy as I'm showing houses in the middle of BFE.

Here are some pictures I kited off the Accurate Automotive website.


Isn't she a beaut? Crap... I'd have to figure out a name for her. I'm not good with names (which is why my kitty is named Kitty). Duh.


Notice the little black buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Those are volume control and channel buttons for the radio. How sweet is that? Especially when you have a 15-almost-16-year-old who is obsessed with being in control of the radio! Mwaaa-haaaa-haaaa.

So our next issue is what to do with the other car. We're definitely not trading it in since it's paid for and we have a Mom who lives with us with no wheels and an almost 16-year-old with no wheels. The problem is my husband's best friend. He is 50 years old and his car just died. Kaput. Lifeless. Can't be resuscitated. He thinks we should give our van to him. Only we've given him thousands of dollars over the last several years (including paying his property taxes last year so he wouldn't lose the home his Mom bought for him). We're going to be hardasses and tell him no. And it breaks my heart to say no because we really love and care for this man. However, we feel that it's time he gets a job that has a regular paycheck. He can find a job in a factory, a laborer, a janitor, a warehouse, anything. I think about my friends who have had to work TWO jobs to make ends meet, feed their children, and keep a roof over their heads. Or the father of my daughter's best friend who is a janitor... supports his family and makes his house payments. If they can do it, then this guy certainly can. We do love him, but we are only enabling him to not get his life together.

I think I'll go wrestle with my conscience for a while.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can add a GPS system if you want one aftermarket cheaper than if you bought it as an option.

My husband is so into that stuff, he wouldn't mind if you sent him a question via me.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I'm not an SUV person, I love Hondas in general. I hope this works out for you.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Shit, if I didn't need it to get around, I'd GIVE you the shiny red convertible.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kerry Woo said...

We all drive Hondas in our WonderDawg household - 2 Civics, Accord and my Odyssey van. I'm shooting for an Element later this year - let us know how it works out!

3:29 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

Mom and kid but boy will my teenager NEVER shut up.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Sounds like you've went well beyond helping this guy out. I have ZERO compassion for anyone who won't even attempt to help themselves.

Sonia <~~who is still expecting to become a millionaire soon

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home