Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lexington Plane Crash

This news feels really personal to me... I lived in Lexington for nearly 20 years until about 3 years ago and frequently flew out of this airport. We've long said the Bluegrass Airport is one of the most beautiful airports to fly in and out of because of the gorgeous black and white fences and horse barns.

The husband of a girl I worked with is the head of the fire-fighting team at the airport. I'm sure Scott is in the middle of it all. Yep, there he is at the news conference right now. Scott Lanter... the nice looking tall guy with the moustache and baseball cap. I called Wanda, a dear friend from my 15-year job where we always flew, to be sure no one on the staff was flying this morning. She said no one from our immediate staff was flying, but she didn't know about the "parent" organization. That's the kind of airplane we also always fought to get on... a jet rather than the puddle-jumper.

It looks like the plane must have been taking off heading over Calumet Farm, because Versailles Road is apparently closed (that's pronounced Ver-sails, not Ver-sigh in Lexington) (yeah, it took me a while to get past that, too). I think had it gone in the other direction, we wouldn't see all the footage of Keeneland, etc. The other direction is just farmland and we'd be looking at the private plane terminal and national guard area.

Update: I've been watching this all day. Watching the victim lists, I (thank God) haven't found anyone I personally know. I used to work at UK's College of Agriculture and had heard of one of the professors, but hadn't met him. I had mentioned earlier about a vacation in Lexington. It IS a beautiful town, but I've deleted that comment for now because it's so inappropriate during this time of loss for so many people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home