Sunday, October 01, 2006

Travel Tours

One of my favorite jobs ever was working at the front desk of a state resort park in Kentucky. We saw all kinds of people coming through - from the business traveler who would stay a week at a time and always managed to dirty his sheets (yes, the housekeeper talk) to an old lady whose stolen car was packed window to window, floor to ceiling with purses (state police handled that one when she kept threatening to use her imaginary gun). We had a lot of groups, too. Mostly family reunions, but some business retreats. But my favorites were always the senior bus tours. Those people were so much fun! Besides the women being sweet and the men telling goofy jokes and flirting, they went to dinner, browsed the gift shop, used the lobby in the evening to play bingo or cards, then were in bed by 10:00 p.m. and quiet the rest of the night.

So I'm reading the Tennessean online a few moments ago and saw this article about the Spring Hill seniors community planning trips in the fall and winter. This is what I want to do when I grow up. I want to be around people I like, seeing the country, having time to read books, and staying overnight at cool destinations, but enjoying the evening with my friends before bedtime. Even though this sounds like a totally old person thing to do, just imagine how much fun it would be with your friends!

I want to go to New England in the Fall (including Connecticut), a warm ocean community in the Winter, the Grand Canyon in Spring, and maybe Jackson Hole, Wyoming in the summer. Oh let's do!

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

As it happens, my parents are leaving this week for a senior citizens' bus tour of New England, including Cape Cod and seeing the play "Wicked" on Broadway. This is the first time they've done a trip like this; they know several other couples on the trip.

Last year, they drove out west by themselves.

I've heard some people say they hate organized tours -- the idea of having to follow a schedule -- while others love it, having someone else to take care of all the arrangements. I think my parents see the good and bad in both approaches.

1:24 PM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

I think it would be awesome. One thing I'd like to do is plan a Middle Tennessee Blogger and Podcaster's Group camping trip. Whether we book cabins or sleep in tents, that is up for discussion but I think it would be awesome. Maybe for next fall we could plan that and then maybe bump up the cost by $2.00 and have the extra go toward the Bob Parks Christmas effort?

3:00 PM  
Blogger Kerry Woo said...

Kathy T, for some reason I see an RV in your future, especially when you close on some high living humble abodes. You'll have that same photo with the thumbs up, only with a ballon caption, "I'm outta here suckas!"

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home