Friday, September 15, 2006

With Good, There is Bad

Sista Smiff posted a comment about how I got to stand on top of the World Trade Center AND meet Governor Ann Richards. I started to reply that my life seems to balance between good and bad events and decided this could be something worth exploring in a stand-alone post rather than a comment. So let's give it a try:
  1. Have a big, big loving family. Good.
  2. So many of us that we grew up stinkin' poor. Bad.
  3. First one in family to graduate from college. Good.
  4. Went to first job interview wearing price tag on dress. Bad.
  5. Potential boss very friendly and everyone kept waving at me. Good.
  6. I waved back, thus causing said price tag under arm to flap in wind. Bad.
  7. Met some hot guys in college who owned a boat. Good.
  8. Boat did not have bathroom. Bad.
  9. Free beer. Good.
  10. Barge spotlighted butt hanging off side of boat. Bad.
  11. Friend had great time on boat. Good.
  12. Barge sounded horn while spotlight was still aimed at butt hanging off side of boat. Bad.
  13. Got to meet Doug Wilder, first black Governor of Virginia. Good.
  14. Got to meet Tiny Tim in Des Moines, Iowa. Bad.
  15. Know Vermont Governor Jim Douglas. Good.
  16. Knew Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell. Bad.
  17. Wrote speech for politician once that contained phrase that was coined by media when talking about financial and investment issues. Good.
  18. Wrote speech once that contained phrase, "Hakuna Matata" and politician said it. Bad.
  19. Have been to all but three of the states in the United States. Good.
  20. Have been to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Bad.
  21. Have never been arrested. Good.
  22. Received only ticket for not turning right in a "right turn only" lane (changed lanes instead). Bad.
  23. Am a girl scout leader. Good.
  24. Am a girl scout leader. Bad.
  25. Mother in law lives with us. Good.
  26. Mother in law lives with us. Bad.
  27. It's Friday night! Good.
  28. Eye keeps twitching. Bad.
  29. I don't see dead people. Good.
  30. I see stupid people. Bad.
  31. Got to tour the floor of the U.S. Treasury where stacks of cash are printed. Good.
  32. Didn't get to take any home. Bad.
  33. Got to tour the USS Nimitz, including the command deck. Good.
  34. While in San Diego during that trip, my youngest daughter (a baby then) found one of Grandma's high blood pressure pills, ate it, and had to be rushed to hospital to have stomach pumped. Bad.
  35. Got to hear Captain and Tennille sing Muskrat Love in person. Good.
  36. Once sang and made a baby cry. Bad.
  37. Got free tickets to Pink Floyd - eighth row seats. Good.
  38. Once sang and made a dog howl. Bad.
  39. Got to show my daughter her first "cave cricket" last night. Good.
  40. The damned thing try to jump on me. Bad.
  41. Went to Rock and Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana. Good.
  42. Went to a Roger Clinton concert in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Bad. Very bad.
  43. Have written two brilliant children's books. Good.
  44. Neither have been published. Bad.

I don't have any more for now, but I can assure you there are plenty more! :) To quote Ivy, "Hee hee." (haha)

7 Comments:

Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Hee hee!!!!

This is my favorite post of yours, ever. I laughed so loud I woke up the cats! I may steal your idea and turn it into a meme. :D

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...I'm most jealous of you seeing Captain and Tennille in person singing Muskrat Love. Damn you! Some people have all the luck.

I ain't kidding when I say I love Mr. & Mrs. Dragon, now.

I also think you should post the speech you wrote containing "Hakuna Matada".

Apparently, one of my spiritual blogging gifts is unintentionally giving ideas for posts. I've been a little slow lately and haven't been as inspirtational. Glad I could be of service. I'll have to put one together.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Cave/camel crickets = my worst nightmare. I swear those things stalk me. I woke up once with one smashed to my stomach where I had rolled over on it. Ugh.

Loved the post!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

I hate cave crickets. Yuck and yuck.
Great fun.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathy, my husband was on the Nimitz for 4 years.

Small world, big ship.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

i'm laughing my ass off at #36. heh.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Malia said...

Cave cricket creep me out. You know they are blind 'cause they live mostly in the dark so they are bit disoriented. When they feel threatened and "think" they are jumping away from something but they actually jump toward it (which is probably what happened) to you) and that actually makes it a defense mechanism because if it's a predator they are trying to flee from, the predator "thinks" it's being attacked and leaves.

Yes, I'm a wealth of info on cave crickets! Back when we lived in a duplex in Green Hills, there was crawl space under our bedroom and we started getting cave crickets in our room. EWWWW! The exterminator had recently come out and set up some sticky traps to get spiders because the tenant on the other side of the duplex and seen some recluses (we never saw any there). Apparently those cave crickets are somehow attracted to those sticky traps. It seemed that everyday there was another bug on one of the traps and often one or two would "hang out" in our bedroom right by our bed. Freaked. Me. Out! We got online and researched them since we didn't even know what they were at first!

Ugh. I have the heebie jeebies now just thinking about it!

Oh, and this post reminds me of the "skit" in the Animaniacs cartoon called "Good Idea, Bad Idea" - very funny!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home