Tuesday, September 12, 2006

WTC 30 Years Ago

After yesterday's five year anniversary of the towers coming down on September 11th, I found my old scrapbook from high school. I lived in Jacksonville, Arkansas in 1976 and was selected along with another student for an all-expense-paid trip to New York to attend a journalism workshop at Columbia University.

My 10th grade teacher was a native New Yorker, so she was of course thrilled to accompany us. We went during the week of Saint Patrick's Day and attended the workshop for about two hours. My teacher, Mrs. Isaacs, said "I can teach you more about New York by going out than by you sitting in this classroom." Our adventure had begun.

One of my fondest memories is dining at the United Nations. I was attempting to slice my entree and it flew off my plate and hit the floor. Bless her heart, my teacher instead of having a cow instantly looked up at the ceiling and said "Where did that fall from?" I had to laugh. Her quick wit saved me from massive embarrassment - and you know how important that is to a 16-year-old.

We rode the Staten Island Ferry, went to the Bronx Zoo, saw Pippin on Broadway, watched the St. Patrick's Day Parade, visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, and went to the top of the World Trade Center. I went through my scrapbook to find those photos of that event. Here they are!



See the Empire State Building behind me?



Here's another shot. I hope no photoshop smart-aleck puts an airplane in the picture like that other picture (you know the one). I remember how this little country bumpkin was ready to kiss the ground when I got home because there was grass and not concrete! I :::loved::: my blue coat (until I got too fat for it!). The other thing that I had never noticed before when I looked at these pictures is how much I look like my Dad. I never realized that he and I have the same mouth.

I am so grateful to have these photos to remember. Out of all my travels (and I've traveled extensively in the U.S.), that trip was probably the most thrilling to me. Times Square. Central Park. The World Trade Center. I'll never forget it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonia said...

wow, that is very cool that you got to visit the twin towers. I bet your kids loved seeing those pics. I hope to visit NYC one day.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so awesome that you have these pictures. I wish I could have seen the towers in all there glory before their early demise.
On another note, Do your daughters realize how much they look like you? That's so kewl. :)

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful pictures. I'm jealous you got to go there.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home