Thursday, September 07, 2006

Stuck Like Gunner

Gunner has some music stuck in his head from ye olde days of PBS or NPR (like 30 years ago). He's trying to put his hands (or his ears) on some music from a show he listened to.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but for a book. I read the book about 15 years ago and can't remember the author or title. It was a thick book - a big read. It started with two sisters in ancient Babylon who had married men of two different religions. They each had one baby, a boy and a girl. One husband was killed (I think). Because of ethnic cleansing (??), the only way to save one of the children was if the sisters swapped. They had to move away from each other, but planned on meeting again to return the other's child. Time came between them and the sisters and their children were forever separated. The story masterfully follows the subsequent lives of their families up to present day, when a son and a daughter again meet. They fall in love and the families are reunited again after 2000 years.

It was an extraordinary story that I immensely enjoyed. I really regret not remembering enough info about it to find it again. Does anyone have any ideas at all what it might be?

2 Comments:

Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Hmmmm. Nope, never heard of it.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Actually, it does seem familiar to me - not so much the book as the style of the author. A series of books I read over 12 years ago reminds me vaguely of this, using a combination of history and historical fiction. The ones I read were about ancient to modern day England and Russia, and then I began reading one about the Incas, and it suddenly became lost to me.

I shall endeavor to find the name of the author for you, since I wouldn't mind finding out myself. Helps to be slightly selfish sometimes, especially if it includes another. :)

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home