Friday, September 15, 2006

Tribute to a Governor

I hope Saint Peter has the pearly gates opened wide for former Texas Governor Ann Richards. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting her in 1991 and was so disappointed she never ran for public office outside of Texas. She would've had my vote from her handshake alone!

In a past life, I worked for the National Association of State Treasurers. In 1990, we figured out that there was no centralized agency helping state debt management officials. That year, we held a conference right here in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel. The turnout was incredible and it was the impetus that started the State Debt Management Network.

In our second year, the co-chairs of this new Network agreed to meet in Austin, Texas. The co-chairs were then state treasurers and are now both U.S. Senators, Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX) and Mary Landrieu (LA). (Even though their political parties rival each other, secretly they are friends). :) Well, Senator Hutchison scheduled a reception at the Governor's Mansion and we were absolutely privileged that Governor Richards was there, and enchanted when we met her.

She was such a warm, caring person. She talked about her battle with alcoholism. Then she did something I've never heard another politician do... she talked about laying awake at night in awe of her responsibilities as Governor. She said that when she was fearful about how her decisions would impact the citizens of her state, she thought about the great men who served Texas: Sam Houston, John Connally, Francis Lubbock, Stephen Austin, etc. She said when she thought of what they accomplished for the state, she knew she had to always go forward without doubting her decisions and without fear.

She was such an inspiration and I must say my world is better because I did have the opportunity to meet her.



Rest in peace, Governor Richards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime I hear her talk, I hear my aunts and girl cousins from San Antonio. She was a neat ol gal.

Dang, you got to go to the World Trade Center AND meet Ann Richards.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home