Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 Accomplishments

It's a rainy, dreary morning to wake up to but I don't mind. 2006 has been a pretty good year for us and I'm going to finally respond to the "Seven Accomplishments" meme that Newscoma tagged me with last week.

Number One: Got both my daughters enrolled in school with positive attitudes. The youngest started middle school and was nervous and scared, but really loves it. The oldest is in 10th grade and has done quite well with subjects that I never had the courage to take: Chemistry and Geometry.

Number Two: Made it to 20th wedding anniversary with husband. We haven't killed each other yet and still laugh at each other's stupid, predictable jokes. We like spending time together and are truly grateful for having someone to scratch our backs, someone to sometimes chase down the hall giggling, and most importantly someone to share beans with (I hate chili beans and pick them out to give to my husband).

Number Three: Even with the real estate slump, I managed to make a little more money than I did last year. My goal in 2007 is to double my business and continue doing so in order for my husband to be able to retire from his job so we can work together.

Number Four: Started this blog, originally named "Resistance is NOT Futile." I changed the name when I decided I didn't want to focus on government, etc. but preferred to babble. My bloggiversary is on January 13th and the first entries set the precedent for being lame, but I've learned to not to be paranoid about it because I'm writing for myself. If anyone else reads and enjoys, that's just great.

Number Five: Started the LaVergne blog. It was an attempt to bring information and conversation to the residents of the community. With Chip and Ivy as contributing authors, we've definitely accomplished that - the unwitting controversy we have brought to the table has helped open discussions with the city and raised awareness on various issues (election parking, stupid name for school which will remain unchanged, etc.).

Number Six: Raised awareness for the "Christmas for the Children" efforts to provide gifts for the kids in LaVergne and Smyrna who wouldn't otherwise have a Christmas.

Number Seven: Met some of the smartest, nicest people in middle Tennessee through blogging. I'm dumbfounded that I've been so lucky to become acquainted with such amazing people. I want to shout out to Smiffster, Lynnster, Newscoma & SQ, CLC, Kerry, M., Michael, Gunner & Elizabeth, Malia, Sonia, Aunt B., Kat Coble, Shauna, Jamie & Jamie, Brittney, Ginger, Heather, SaraSue, B-Dub, Rachel, Tim, John H., Sam, Rex, Mark, Jeffraham, Finn, and everyone I've inadvertently left off and am so ashamed of myself for doing so. (And I left off Ivy and Chip because I met them before blogging!).

Number Eight: I feel like I've been a true friend to a lot of people I truly care about. I was there to listen as Mandi struggled through a difficult time with a former friend and rejoiced with her when I learned she was pregnant, I took another friend to a doctor and a domestic abuse office when she was injured by her husband (and tried to give her comfort as she suffered through two miscarriages), I went with a friend to document a notorious head shave (an act of courage and compassion), and I helped another friend who didn't think she could buy a home.

Number Nine: I've told my parents I love them more. I tell my husband I love him more. I tell my kids how much I love them, too.

Number Ten: I accept that I will be judged by other people and they can be cruel. I have learned that it doesn't matter because I will continue to try to be a good person. Even though I'm boring at times, I am interesting at other times. I can be comfortable with myself.

Happy 2007!

8 Comments:

Blogger Gunner said...

Thanks for the shoutout,It has been a good year and I'm so glad I got to know all of the local bloggers....even Ivy.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Also many thanks for the shoutout.
You have the sexiest voice in the blogosphere and I'm so lucky to know you.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Very nice :) I think I might use this as my subject for tomorrow's posting. Great idea! Happy New year! I'm glad i've gotten to "meet" you too! Maybe one day we'll meet face to face.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

Great list! Thanks for the shout. I am pondering the past year as well and am mulling over successes and failures in my lil' noggin. Wishing you a GREAT 2007!!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every one of your ten accomplishments are truly impressive! You should be proud of yourself.

In 2007 I hope to spend time with people (like you!) that I met in '06.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was great meeting you, as well. I'm glad you're such a great pal with Ivy. I can't be there physically and it's so good she has someone like you close to her.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Happy New Year, Kathy T! So glad we met...

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a list! Happy New Year!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home