Friday, July 21, 2006

Ruffled Feathers

Although I love writing and talking, I'm fairly new to blogging. This is my personal blog. I also totally copied Michelle from This is Smyrna and started a blog for the community of LaVergne.

Well. Apparently the folks at city hall have become aware of the LaVergne blog. And some of them (at least one person, anyway) don't like it too much. A reader wrote some pretty libelous comments about how the blog "spews false facts" and strongly suggested we should call and talk to city officials rather than just blogging about our concerns. I think the person took offense at two posts... one said the little newsletter the city publishes was rather a waste of money because there was no news in it. The other was from the suggestion that LaVergne should also hold a "Night Out" event to fight drugs because Smyrna had one and it sounded like fun. What we didn't realize is that LaVergne DOES have a night out. Of course when we originally posted about Smyrna's night out, the official site of LaVergne hadn't announced LaVergne's night out. It has it now.

Here's what I think. I think some city employees believe our little blog is "competition," that we are usurping their position as a source of information. Well that's just a-okay with me because now our residents are getting much-deserved updates on the city's web site. Now more people are informed about what's going on in this community. Now our city officials are hearing from residents about what we want for this city. My hope is that these officials respond to our thoughts and comments. Time will tell.

3 Comments:

Blogger View From The Lake said...

Thanks for coming out to see me tonight. I was really sweet. Thanks for the shout out as well.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Stick to your guns, Kathy. It's like Margaret Mead said:
A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

I really believe that is true. If you are upsetting the apple cart, there might be some rotten apples on it. When government gets upset about information being dispursed, then something is at issue.
Good job.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Um...they want you to stop blogging about stuff in Lavergne? Free Speech really is lost on these people eh? I think it's hilarious. I'm going to go read that blog now.

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home