Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas Shopping Has Yet to Happen

Every now and then I hear about women who defy the stereotype of loving to shop. I'm one of them... I hate fighting crowds, I get nervous when I look at cost (thinking I'd rather save that money for bills), I get angry at greedy store owners (remember the investigative piece that showed how stores label certain prices, but they ring up otherwise?), and did I mention the crowds? Bad bad crowd anxiety.

I have a lot of shopping left. I haven't been smart and done it online like everyone has told me. I missed out on the $1.99 screaming monkey on woot.com (dang!). This means that I now have a boat-load of shopping left. I have to buy for two daughters, husband, mother-in-law, parents (they're easy, they just want gift cards to restaurants) (Hi Mom!), sister, brothers and wives, and 13 nieces and nephews. Plus a couple of agents who I really like who live alone and really have no one else. We're having our girl scout party tonight and I need to go buy a little something for nine girls and the two co-leaders.

To top it all off, though, I also have to buy for EIGHT kids from the "Christmas for the Children" program we raised money for in the last few months. I volunteered for the biggest family because I thought it was a great opportunity for bloggers from LaVergne, Smyrna, and middle Tennessee would want to come along to help. No one has stepped up yet, though. :( To address this, I have come up with Plan B:

I want to invite bloggers to come Saturday, December 16th at 12:00 noon to KMart on Lowry St. in Smyrna to shop. We get 10% off at KMart and they also have our tax-exempt letter on file so we can get more for the money. We have $60 p/child and I have talked with the mother and she has given me detailed info on sizes, needs, and likes. I'd like to take about two hours to shop, then I want to invite the bloggers to my office at Bob Parks Realty on Sam Ridley Parkway at 2:00 p.m. to wrap the presents. We can have our blogger meeting while wrapping presents. The mother of the children told me the gifts we buy are indeed the only presents her kids will get this year. She is coming by the office on December 19th to pick them up.

I still want to open my home for a blogger potluck at some point, but given the sick husband and MIL this weekend, it really worked out for the better that the Mothership soiree was the same night. (And boy wasn't it fun!) (best dressed indeed haha).

Are there any takers to shop for the children? Pretty please with sugar on top?

5 Comments:

Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Yes, I will, provided I don't, you know, have to go to a funeral or anything.

8:39 AM  
Blogger View From The Lake said...

I didn't know that was exactly what you were hoping for. Post it on the Smyrna blog and we'll definitely turn it into a MTBPG event.

You can be the conductor this time around. I'm off 12/15 and 12/18. I have Dr. appointment and a lunch appointment at Calypso on Monday 12/18. Want to come? I'll owe you.

Hopefully you can hook me up with a truck on Sunday to go get a bed. I can buy you lunch and help out on Monday if you'd like. Let me know.

I think you will also get a lot more for your money if you buy some of your items at Steve and Barry's in the mall.

I have to buy curtains so I'll be doing some shopping anyway!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Gunner said...

Christmas shopping is nightmare inducing

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Kathy...I can't make it that day...but I'd love to make a donation if possible. Can I cut you a check? Or paypal if you prefer.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I will try to be there, but I make no guarantees. My grandfather's passing away and the giant weekend of church choir cantata last weekend has put me waaaaaaaaaay far behind on the holiday shopping.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home