Tuesday, December 05, 2006

On Cooking

Somewhere in my past (I think I was 12 or 13), I thought I wanted to be a chef when I grew up. It was because one evening I took over my Mom's kitchen when we lived in North Dakota and prepared a "to die for" meal of hamburgers, frozen french fries, and Tang. I even took a picture of the meal because I was so darned proud of cooking it all by myself, set the table, etc.

Well I don't do much cooking anymore since Velma moved in with us. She used to be a dietary manager at a nursing home and before that she cooked at numerous restaurants. Her mashed potatoes are seriously the very best I've ever tasted. Ever. My Mom once started to have her feelings hurt when I said that, but when she tasted them she said, "You are right. These are the best mashed potatoes I've ever tasted." OMG... they are wonderful beyond words. And she doesn't put anything but salt, butter and milk in them, so she just has a special touch.

Again, I don't do much cooking here. When a top notch cook lives with you, there is always something wrong with the food you prepare. And I refuse to cook for anyone who criticizes my food. Which brings us to Top Chef on Bravo. I love that show, but I don't know how those "contestants" stand there and take the criticism offered by the judges. I would roll into a big blubbering ball of out-of-control tears. But I love that show! It amazes me to see these chefs pull together wonderful looking dishes in a short amount of time and with nasty ingredients (animal guts, vending machine, convenience store, etc.). I also watch stunned as the judges actually taste some of them. Blech. Sorry guys, I'm not going to be tasting anything with pigs blood, lamb hearts, or chicken feet.

Meanwhile, my vote for the top chef this time goes to either Cliff or Sam, but Ilan or Mia may come out of nowhere to take it. I get tired of watching Betty (although she seems to be a supreme cook) bashing Marcel and him bothering her in return. I don't like conflict and those two seem to be driving it this season. Oh. And the host Padma Lakshmi is married to Salman Rushdie. PLUS she was a guest on Star Trek. How cool is her life?

So if you cook or you thought you'd like to cook at some point in your life, watch that show. It's fun and interesting!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sonia said...

DD2 says she wants to be a chef. She loves watching top chef! I hate cooking. with a passion. If I could afford to eat out for every meal I would.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home