Friday, December 22, 2006

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

Yo ho ho. I feel like this is going to be a big posting day... why? Because I have about 2 days worth of errands to run, rooms to clean, cookies to bake and this is a great way to procrastinate. My Motorola Razr phone isn't working (it just keeps showing "Unable to Charge") so I have to take that somewhere to have a battery fixed. I have a stack of about 50 Christmas cards that haven't been mailed and one wailing 11-year old who's boo-hooing because she hates her school picture and doesn't want it to be sent to anyone. She loved the picture until her Daddy said she looked like the lunch lady (her hair was pulled back in a tight bun). Thanks, Daddy. The other daughter hates the pic I'm using for her, too. I had snapfish develop some because I didn't order her school pictures in time. Arg.

So I'm copying Ginger and Sonia and whoever else has done this and my gift (like them) is to not tag anyone!

Favorite Christmas Movie: When I was a tween, I loved the song "Sunshine" by John Denver. Then Cliff DeYoung did a version (or maybe another song altogether ... I don't remember) and he starred in the movie "Sunshine." It was about a man who lost his wife and had to raise his young daughter alone with his guitar and motorcycle. He was a hippy and hung out with his hippy friends. Then they made "A Sunshine Christmas" movie. I loved it until I happened upon it last year and realized what a truly dated flick it was. That moves me to "Christmas Vacation" and "Elf" ... I love both of these. My favorite line is "Did you HEAR THAT?" after the Buddy burped (in fact, that's a much-used line in my own home). But the favorite has to be "It's a Wonderful Life" because it's held up through the years and still makes me cry even though I've seen it a kazillion times.

Favorite Christmas Song: I like "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" the best because I can hit all the notes with this terrible singing voice of mine (again, dogs howl and babies cry when I sing - no exaggeration). I also like "Angels we Have Heard on High" because of all the Glo-o-o-o-o-ria's. I also admit that I love "Do They Know It's Christmas" by the generous people of Band-Aid, the 80s version of "Cool People Care" that wrote and recorded the song to raise money to end hunger in Africa.

Favorite Christmas Cookie: My own version of the Girl Scout 's Tagalongs (Peanut Butter Patties in other parts of the country) is quite good. Make peanut butter sandwiches using just peanut butter and Ritz crackers. Then dip them in melted chocolate bark. Shockingly delicious. I also love the "Magic Cookie Bars" (we call them goobers here) and the Oatmeal/peanut butter no-bake cookies.

Favorite Christmas Gift Ever Received: I loved the record player I got when I was about 12 or 13-years old. It had little detachable speakers and I would lay down on the floor and put one speaker at each ear and listen to Neil Diamond and the Eagles. I also love the photo my sis gave me last year in the "sisters" picture frame. Aw. And anything my husband gives me trying to be sensitive and sweet (my dragon calendar last year because I love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series). And he once framed a poem I wrote about squirrels (it was just hideous - the poem I mean).

Least favorite thing about Christmas: Living away from my parents, brothers and sisters. We all get together on Christmas Eve and used to stay the night until our daughters started saying they wanted to be home Christmas morning. Now we return Christmas Eve night. It makes for a long, tired Christmas day.

Where would your perfect Christmas be: In a mountain cabin with snow falling outside. Roaring fire. By cabin, I mean mansion big enough to house everyone... all 30-ish of us.

Favorite part of Christmas: Watching my kids pick out, wrap, and open gifts. Also seeing people smile at stores rather than glare. Oh! And I love Christmas lights and the carols! I also quite enjoy looking at the Nativity scenes. Dang. I just love Christmas!

Favorite Christmas decoration you own: It used to be my styrofoam egg that I made in 1st or 2nd grade. But now it has to be these two ornaments. The one on top is my youngest daughter in preschool. The ornament on the bottom right is my oldest daughter's "1st Christmas" ... notice her Eraserhead hair? ha.

When do you put up the tree? Usually two to three weeks before Christmas.

Do you wear "holiday" sweaters/ sweatshirts/ t shirts? I have a sweater (not a pullover sweater) that I sometimes wear. And a plain white shirt with a snowflake in the middle.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We wear our custom t-shirt and flannels we had made!

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home