Saturday, December 16, 2006

Good Idea Made Great

Remember November and the NaBloPoMoFo project? You may or may not know that I was one of the lucky ones randomly selected to win a prize and I was to get 3 pounds of coffee from the Mocha Momma.

Mocha Momma is a teacher. Teachers are a breed of people who see not just children playing, learning, talking, and socializing all day, but they also witness a lot of suffering and sadness. When she contacted me, we were in the throes of the "Christmas for the Children" project so it was fresh in my brain. I replied to her that she could take the money she was planning to spend on the coffee and turn it instead into a gift for a child at her school who needed a little extra love at Christmas. She wrote back and told me about an 18-year old former student who has full custody of his much younger cousin - it's just the two of them struggling to make ends meet. At 18-years old.

Well Mocha Momma has taken it a step further and although it's now too late to officially comment, I wanted to applaud her fantastic idea. One day earlier this week, she opened a post on her blog to comments. For every unique comment she received, she donated $1. For every person who sent her an e-Card from a specific site, she donated $3. When I looked, she had 97 comments and I have no idea how many e-Cards. I thought that was fantastic.

So this is a shout-out again to the Mocha Momma who wants to be on a nice tropical island enjoying her tasty cup of joe. You are an inspiration to me to have the courage to make a big announcement like pulling money from your own pocket to help out. You are generous in spirit. You are a very positive influence. I plan to use this comment concept throughout the new year myself to help raise money for our next year's Christmas for the Children program. Thank you, Mocha Momma, for one of the greatest ideas I've seen on the Internet in a very long time.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mocha said...

I must return the favor and remind you that your selflessness was the seed to this idea. Helping others out grew from there. Many donations later I'm nearly out of breath for not being able to believe the response. Many people have said the same thing: all they want is the idea because they've been wanting to help, but lacked direction.

So, thank you once again. Love goes round and round...

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home