Friday, December 22, 2006

Laughy Laugherson > Whiny Whinerson

It's a rainy, craptastic kind of day but I had to get out to get some chocolate bark and veggies for the obligatory vegetable tray I bring to Mom & Dad's every year. I also had to go to the post office to mail our cards that everyone will get AFTER Christmas. My youngest daughter went with me, yelling and crying the whole way because she hates her school picture this year.

Daughter: "Please, Momma, PLEASE!!! Don't put the picture in! I hate it! It's ugly of me!" (and she snatches the letters out of my hands).

Me: "Give me those envelopes."

Daughter: "NOOOOOOO! You are NOT getting them! I hate that picture!"

Me: "Give. me. the. envelopes. NOW. I'm not going to spend $48 on pictures that I throw away."

Daughter: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! You're so mean! That's not fair!"

Blah blablabla Blah... I got the cards away from her and we went to the post office. So my mood was naturally a little bit sour. The line itself wasn't too long, but when customers reached the postal clerks, they took about 20 minutes each to mail one little box each. Sigh. From the corner of my eye, I spotted a woman walk in and get in line about three folks behind me. Before I knew it, she cut up to the front, interrupting a customer already talking at a window.

Line Cutter: "Can I just leave this envelope here with you?"

Clerk: "No ma'am. That's Fed Ex. We don't deliver Fed Ex packages."

Line Cutter: "You all go to the same places."

Clerk: "Ma'am, they are our competitors. There is a drop box right across the street."

Line Cutter: "You can't take it?"

Clerk: "No ma'am. It's a different company."

Line Cutter: "Could you look at the label for me to see if I've filled it out right, then?"

Clerk (dumbfounded): "I'm sure it's fine. You can take it to the drop box across the street."

Line Cutter: "Okay! Thanks!"

I had to turn my back to her or I would've scoffed and snorted out loud. As it was, I just muffled my laughs and was so thankful she was there to brighten my day. Thank you, confused lady. You definitely cracked me up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

People AMAZE me. I am beside myself in disbelief over this one. I'd say more but it wouldn't be very nice. ;)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Considering that I've been at the post office more times in the last two weeks than I usually go all year, here's what I've decided:

The ONLY people that should be allowed in front of the line are those that walked up to the counter, got the forms they needed (or stamps, whatever), and then stepped away to finish filling out their stuff. The USPS person usually tells them to just hand it off to them when they're done, anyway.

I had a woman (this is the longest comment ever, I know) next to me at the Brentwood PO the other day who was chatting on her cell phone at the counter (despite being right next to the sign asking people to turn them off), kept the clerk waiting while she finished her conversation, then asked the clerk to address her package for her (again, despite being right next to the sign saying that everything must be sealed and addressed before giving it to the PO staff). The clerk had a LOT more patience than I would have, and the chick had the nerve to be ticked off when told that she had to fill out the address herself. Then, of course, she held up the line as she had to dig the address out of her purse and then stand at the counter writing it.

Pains in the ass, I tell you!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home