Monday, January 08, 2007

Captain Kirk and Pink Kitty

It's a weird-mood kind of day. Beyond the obvious having a "case of the Mondays" I've been reading Aunt B, Kat Coble and Pink Kitty following the Buddhist Attorney's one-line zing which was a very cruel, misguided attempt to be funny. Besides PK's response being eloquent, she also did something unexpected... she made me cry. I think it wasn't so much her talk about the human body being beautiful, etc. It was because she reminded me that despite how our society judges us on our physical appearance, we are allowed to live a life of dignity and joy. She said:

"People like Wintermute attempt to rob people like me of life through public shame and harassment. Fat people stay in there homes having been hounded for so long, made fun of, made to feel ugly and ashamed for what they look like. 18 months ago, a person like Wintermute might have succeeded with me. For a few minutes, he did.

However, it is today and it didn't work. I will not hide. I will not be ashamed. I will continue to live my life as God and I see fit, and that includes dancing."
I've been guilty of judging people based solely on their appearance - most definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black. When I've done it, I kind of step back, acknowledge to myself what I've done, feel loads of guilt for doing it, then overcompensate to make up for it. But when I've done it, I'm likely judging someone to make myself feel better about my own problems. That said, I do owe Pink Kitty my gratitude for her amazing character - she is an inspiration on the dance floor and an even greater example of how I want to live my life... with confidence, compassion, and integrity.

Now to change the subject: I took my girls to see Night at the Museum yesterday. I've read a lot of comments about it not being a good movie, but I loved it! It reminded me a lot of Jumanji with Robin Williams and the wild animals, but it had some very funny moments. Except for one bad word ("kiss-as*"), it's very family friendly. We all laughed throughout the movie and I do love me a good, hearty laugh!

At home, the hubs and I have been watching the first season of Boston Legal. Now that's some funny stuff. I've been a Star Trek fan for more years than I care to share, but typically just tolerated Captain Kirk (I liked Mr. Spock and Chekhov). Now that I've watched Boston Legal, I believe William Shatner is a wonderful actor AND singer! :) hee hee! And James Spader. Wow.

The hubs also told me last night that "The Omega Man" (the Charlton Heston) movie is being remade under it's original title "I am Legend" (written by Richard Matheson). I totally freaked out because "I Am Legend" is one of my favorite books and stupidly I never realized it was "The Omega Man." Wow again. I'm very much looking forward to the new movie, and will probably have to read the book again as a result.

That's all I have for now. I'm going out shortly to take some pictures so I can post a photo later. Oh. And I suppose I should go to work for a while. I'm tweaking my database... anyone want on it?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarcastro said...

The bad news is that Will Smith is playing the lead in I Am Legend.

"Vampires? Ah, HELL nah!"

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lynnster said...

Oh... I've had a thing for James Spader since I was in high school. The other girls could have Tom Cruise and Rob Lowe - James Spader, John Cusack, and Matthew Modine all made my little teenage and college-age heart skip a beat (and still do, heh heh). :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Tolerated....TOLERATED....Captain Kirk?!?

Kirk is da man!

I'm so upset right now...;)

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Boston Legal.

Remember James Spader in Sex, Lies and Videotape? Googly moogly that was fun wasn't it?

I had an experience via email regarding something I said about a celebrity on my blog some months ago. Seems the celebrity's girlfriend somehow found my blog and was not pleased. She emailed me, demanding I remove the post and issue an apology. I'm still not sure how to respond to her, if I should respond to her...I'm going to address it at some point, I'm just torn.

Did that have anything to do with your post? I'm losing my mind.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home