Thursday, August 10, 2006

What is Wrong with People????

I saw this article today on Comcast news. I couldn't believe it. Just how sick and depraved and cruel are people??? It would be hard to imagine a worse death. I've thought a lot about the death penalty and frankly can't say I'm against it.

The daughter of a man I went to church with was brutally murdered in Evansville, Indiana. She was 18 or 19 and babysitting. The Dad was supposed to drive her home, but raped and murdered her instead. He was convicted and served about 15 or 20 years before being paroled. The father of the girl who was murdered held on to his anger for years, but eventually went and spoke with the murderer. After talking with him over time, he eventually forgave him and became a spokesperson against the death penalty. Here are some articles and other info about Mr. Stevens.

Declaration Personalizes Death Penalty
Oklahoma City Bombing Victim's Father Speaks Out Against Death Penalty
Bill to End Capital Punishment... (press release)
Ironic Twist of Hope at Eddyville Penitentiary

I can't say that I'm against the death penalty because I have (thank God) never walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has had a family member murdered. However, if it was my daughter I would've absolutely wanted to see the man FRY. (You know, I did forget that the son of one of my cousins was killed at a workplace shooting in Indiana about five years ago. I think he was one of three or four people killed. I never met my cousin's son, but I'm sure it was devastating for them.)

What does bother me about the death penalty is reading about people who have been found innocent years later. I believe if there is irrefutable proof that someone is guilty of murder - whether through DNA testing or multiple witnesses - then I don't object. And don't sterilize the needle! But if there is a shadow of a doubt that someone is not guilty, then I can't support it in those instances. I just hope I'm never ever put in a position where I'd be actively involved in seeking the death penalty for someone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sonia said...

i'M TOTALLY pro death penalty...but dna evidence has to be involved. If you rape a child, you deserve the death penalty INSTANTLY! Murder, I think it depends on the circumstances.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home