Monday, January 08, 2007

No Cookie Website

UPDATE: I went to the Council this afternoon to pick up some booklets for my troop to work on their Silver Awards. While I was there, I naturally took advantage to put the discussion to rest. I'm so considerate! (ha). They were also confused at Council, but finally decided that actual online cookie sales are not permitted ... meaning we are unable to set up an order form, collect money through paypal, sell on eBay, etc. We CAN talk about it in our blogs (again mentioning that they are available and watch for Girl Scouts coming through your neighborhood etc.). We CAN email our family, friends and acquaintances and they CAN email us. So hooray for me, Busy Mom and Malia. We did it right and still have our angel wings.

Now my pictures of the day:




I want to clarify the big cookie question. I've made phone calls to get the official scoop, but SNAFU: the people you need to talk with at the Council roll right into voice mail.

So I talked with another good soul. She said we are not allowed to set up a web page specifically to promote cookie sales (no online order forms). We can mention that it is cookie time and also say that if you know a scout, you can contact them to order. We are not allowed to email strangers that it's cookie time, but if someone emails us, that's okay.

I was wrong when I said the goal is 175 boxes per girl. It's 150 boxes that we need to sell for girls to get a prize and for troops to get a bonus. As it is now, the troops collect .50 (cents) per box and can earn up to another .08 (cents)'ish p/box in bonuses for turning in orders on time and for each girl selling 150 boxes. My troop has never gotten a bonus beyond turning in orders and money on time because we have sisters in the troop whose orders must be divided (in fairness).

So mentioning that it's cookie time on this blog is not against the rules. Saying you can contact me is against the rules unless I generalize that you can also contact any scout. So there it is: you can contact any scout at this time of year to order cookies. I don't want to break rules, even rules that are designed to inhibit girls from meeting the goals randomly set by big corporation in order to maximize their own profit.

Do I sound bitter? I'm sorry... I don't mean to be. I just do not like cookie season. It's my least favorite time of year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malia said...

Thank you for the clarification!!

I'm sorry to have caused such confusion and debate over this topic. I was just genuinely surprised to see you (a troop leader) and Busy Mom both publically say on your blogs that "you"'re selling GS cookies! After our meeting (I left another comment at Kat's place about that) I was even a bit apprehensive about sending out an e-mail and I felt blogging was completely out of the question!

Guess I'd better go back and say on my blog that they should consider buying from any girl scout, huh?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Busy Mom said...

Busy Girl's troop (not mine, I'm too old) always gets the bonus, but, the Cookie Mom is a very scary person.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Lynnster said...

I am trying very hard not to laugh because I know you HATE the cookie thing, but... I just came over here from Kat's after reading your (first) comment over there and I think I just broke a rib from laughing so hard...

If you really wanna get banned from cookies for life, maybe we can come up with something that will get you vetoed from cookies but not arrested in the process... ;) Heh heh...

8:30 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

wow..such politics surrounding cookie sales. I don't understand why they don't want them sold on the internet. Hell, it would increase their sales!

Hook me up woman...I'm already having sugar fits over here!

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home