Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Weather Flag

I've got a lot of nothing today except a weather report - we had some rain/sleet mix earlier. My picture today perfectly demonstrates the windy, overcast winter day. If I could, I'd have dropped 2 inches of snow on the ground overnight so we can experience a real winter here in middle Tennessee. Then after about a week of cold, I'd warm it back up to the mid-60s for the remainder of winter.



I took this photo of my neighbor's flag to talk about a project my girl scout troop is undertaking. We are going to plan for a flag retirement ceremony this spring or summer and will be inviting people to give us their flags for proper disposal. I went to a flag retirement ceremony several years ago and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. I want the flag ceremony for my troop to be just as memorable.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindy said...

I'm with you on the snow/change back to the 60s thing. I 'bout freaked when I saw that sleet today! The little kid in me, wanting to go home early I think. Hee.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I participated in a flag retirement ceremony in May. It too was very moving, but if I had to do it over again, I would shorten it up. We burned three flags, and it took about 15 minutes each. That's WAAAAY too long. We lost our crowd after the first flag.

We cut the flags into pieces, first removing the union, and then each stripe, burning each portiaon as it was removed. The modification I'd make would be to pre-cut all but one of the flags. Then I'd cut the remaining flag during the ceremony and burn each pre-cut peice afterwards. With a bunch of girl scouts, they could each lay a piece on the fire, and everyone could participate.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

Glad to see you've taken up this project.
One of my pet peeves is a tattered flag flapping in a "patriotic" person's yard or on their vehicle.
Once Old Glory is past its prime it should be retired.
Kudos to you.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home